Sunday, November 2, 2014

When Jesus Christ Came



The central point in the Book of Mormon is when the resurrected Savior visited the believing people in the Americas (3 Nephi 9-27). For 600 years, prophets of the Book of Mormon saw in visions and prophesied about the circumstances of the birth, life, atonement, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (I love what Nephi sees and shares about the life of Christ in 1 Nephi 11.) And then it happened. He came. And we not only have an account of His post-resurrection ministry to his disciples in Jerusalem in the New Testament, we also have an account of His post-resurrection visit and ministry to the people of the Americas in the Book of Mormon.

At the time of Christ's death, the people in the Americas suffered earthquakes and fire and darkness. They were scared and probably felt abandoned and alone. And then, a voice spoke from heaven. The resurrected Christ speaks to them from heaven, Heavenly Father speaks from heaven, and then Christ comes down and ministers to them. He counsels them, teaches them, spends time with their children, institutes the sacrament, heals them, prays for and with them, and calls disciples and organizes His church.

My favorite part of the account, however, is when the Savior first appears to them:

"And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:
Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning [. . .]
And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying:
Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world.
And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come." 3 Nephi 11:9-15
I love this because the first thing the Savior does is tell the people to "Arise and come forth." He permits them to touch his hands and feet and wants them to know that everything He did, everything He taught and suffered, He did for them individually. And He allows them individually to come and feel and see.

President James E. Faust (former member of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), penned the following words about this Book of Mormon account and his own testimony of Jesus Christ:

They heard His voice, a voice so mild.
It pierced them through and made their souls to quake.
They saw Him come, a man in white,
The Savior, who had suffered for their sake.
They felt the wounds in hands and side,
And each could testify:
This is the Christ.
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
Who ransomed us with love divine.
I read His words, the words He prayed
While bearing sorrow in Gethsemane.
I feel His love, the price He paid.
How many drops of blood were spilled for me?
With Saints of old in joyful cry
I too can testify:
This is the Christ.
This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
Who ransomed us with love divine.

I testify of Jesus Christ, as well. It is hard to explain to someone what His life and atonement and love mean to me personally, because it is something you have to experience to understand or know. But the longer I live, the more I know that He is real and aware of me. In difficult times, when I have cried and reached out to Him for help or just for comfort, I have felt and seen miraculous, inexplicable things. When I struggle with weakness or sin and have asked for help, I have been strengthened in ways I did not believe possible. And when I feel happy, I have felt love for people that is not my own--it is His love and He lets me feel it for myself and for others. I don't feel these things immediately all the time. I am a work in progress. But I know that Jesus Christ is real and His power to help and heal are real. 

-Elin
Who is so happy to be with her sisters and mother this weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment