Thursday, January 15, 2015

A few words that helped me through today...

So yesterday, while I was reading a delightful sunbeam of a book called Mother Carey's Chickens, I came across these words that I very confidently decided should be my new motto:

"No whimpering, Madam! You can't have the joys of motherhood without some of its pangs! Think of your blessings and don't be a coward."

These are the words the mother of the book says to herself when she begins to feel low or disheartened. I liked the words because I have been prone to "whimper" these days...and I have felt some "pangs" of motherhood. And I know a thing or two about being a coward. I recently gave birth to my second child and am finding it hard to know how to still give the time to my oldest child that I feel she deserves. I feel like I am failing. And the lack of sleep and being stuck in the house because it's winter and there are tons of germs that my newborn isn't supposed to be subjected to--these things aren't helping matters.

So last night, I confidently decided Mother Carey's words were going to be my motto and everything would be better the next day. Well, today wasn't any better. I didn't live by the motto and I whimpered again.

I hate failing.

Then I read the words below and they helped me through the day. That is what scripture and words of living prophets and apostles do: they bring hope and light and love. They do not lower expectations of my behavior, but they show me that Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ understand me and love me and can help me meet those expectations....be it ever so gradual.



"You are loved.

You are dear to your heavenly parents.


The infinite and eternal Creator of light and life knows you! He is mindful of you.


Yes, God loves you this very day and always.


He is not waiting to love you until you have overcome your weaknesses and bad habits. He loves you today with a full understanding of your struggles. He is aware that you reach up to Him in heartfelt and hopeful prayer. He knows of the times you have held onto the fading light and believed--even in the midst of growing darkness. He knows of your sufferings. He knows of your remorse for the times you have fallen short or failed. And still He loves you.


And God knows of your successes; though they may seem small to you, He acknowledges and cherishes each one of them. He loves you for extending yourself to others. He loves you for reaching out and helping others bear their heavy burdens--even when you are struggling with your own.

He knows everything about you. He sees you clearly--He knows you as you really are. And He loves you--today and always."

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Living the Gospel Joyful

-elin
who has always been a fan of these thoughts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment