Tuesday, June 16, 2015

See & Know For Yourself

"Wherefore, we again say, search the revelations of God: study the prophecies, and rejoice that God grants unto us seers and prophets. They are they who saw the mysteries of godliness [. . .]

And, fellow sojourners upon earth, it is your privilege to purify yourselves and come up to the same glory, and see for yourselves and know for yourselves. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg 12-13


L. Tom Perry, one of the twelve apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died a few weeks ago. He was 92 years old. And he spent a large part of those years testifying that Jesus is the Christ and that His gospel is the way to peace and happiness.

I have grown up listening to Elder Perry speak at our Church's biannual conference and I have always loved him. He somehow combined big and booming with quiet and unassuming. I'm not quite sure how he did it. But he just seemed very, very real to me. And there always seemed to be a twinkle in his eye. He reminded me of my paternal grandpa.

So here is a little tribute to him-- a man that I sincerely believe was an apostle of Jesus Christ:

Elder L. Tom Perry, Deseret News

"The scriptures teach that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He lives and is our Redeemer and Savior. We should follow Him and show our love for Him by remembering Him and humbly keeping His commandments.
Through His Atonement we are able to repent and be cleansed. [. . .]
Personal, sincere involvement in the scriptures produces faith, hope, and solutions to our daily challenges." L. Tom Perry, The Tradition of a Balanced, Righteous Life



“… The world is crying out for something, it scarce knows what. Wealth has come, … [and] the world is filled with … inventions of human skill and genius, but … we are [still] restless, unsatisfied, [and] bewildered. … [If we open] the New Testament [we are greeted by these words], ‘Come unto me and I will give you rest, I am the bread of life, I am the Light of the world, If any man thirst let him come unto me and drink, My peace I give unto you, You shall receive power, You shall rejoice’” (Charles Edward Jefferson, The Character of Jesus [1908], 7, 11, 15–16). Quoted by Elder Perry in his October 2014 Conference Address.

-Elin



No comments:

Post a Comment