Thursday, March 19, 2015

Ears to Hear


Recently my sister shared a scripture with me that has given me a lot to think about. Just after His triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the Savior recognizes that the time for His atonement and the crucifixion is drawing close.  In the presence of Andrew, Philip and others, Jesus prays to His Father, saying:

27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

28 Father, glorify thy name. 

And then, this beautiful response:

Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.

In answer to His Beloved Son’s fervent prayer, Heavenly Father lovingly, vocally, responded. And this is what strikes me as so significant. Look at how the people who stood near the Savior reacted:

29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him. (John 12:27-29 King James Version, KJV)

They were all there together—physically. Yet, spiritually, they had very different experiences. The Savior heard His Father. Some heard what they thought were angels. Still others heard only thunder.

I find myself wondering what I would have heard. Would I have had “ears to hear,” as the scriptures so often ask? And, more important, do I have ears to hear now? Do I hear the words of my loving Heavenly Father when I pray for His guidance? Do I hear His words as I read the scriptures? Or are His words too often the muddled rumble of thunder in my ears?

I want to have ears to hear.

-Marilyn

Who is looking forward to listening to, and hearing, His living prophets in the next few weeks. (Click here for more information.)


No comments:

Post a Comment