Tuesday, September 16, 2014

You're not alone

Because of my husband’s employment, we are required to move often. We have lived in an area for as little as 2 months to as long as 11 months. There have been times when housing wasn’t quite ready for us so we stayed in hotels for several weeks. The furthest move has been across oceans and the closest across several states.  Driving around town, I often have to remind myself where I am and what the road system is like. Occasionally, during the credits at the end of a movie in the theater, Ben turns to me and says, “Where are we again?” and I have to think about it.


We have a wonderful life and I love being able to experience different cultures and meet so many wonderful people. However, the first couple weeks are tough and, at times, I can get to feeling very lonely and lost. A few months ago I came across a video that brought me much comfort.


Whatever the reason for feeling lonely; it is reassuring to know that we are never truly alone. One of the things I have learned from traveling so often is not only do I need those who reach out to me, but many times they needed a friend as well. Feelings of loneliness often stem from being physically alone or lost, suffering through trials, feeling the pain of sin, addictions, temptations, physical pain, standing up for truth and righteousness… the list is endless. I would guess that almost everyone has experienced most, if not all, of those reasons listed for feeling lonely. We need to cheer and comfort each other.

I am grateful for the knowledge that Christ is always there for me. He knows exactly what I am going through and He knows how to help me. As I look back on my life, I recognize times when Christ carried me through difficult times and I know I could not have done it alone.

In John 14:18, Christ says, “I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you.” I know that to be true.

Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

- How Firm a Foundation; 3rd verse

Ryanne
Who loves the GPS function on her phone

No comments:

Post a Comment