Saturday, September 27, 2014

Learning From Each Other

This evening, I am going to watch the General Women's Meeting for our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a meeting where women all over the world can gather and watch and listen to the leaders of the women's and children's organizations of our Church, as well as a member of the First Presidency of the Church give inspiring, Christ-centered messages and counsel. 
A couple of years ago, as I was listening to the messages shared at one of these meetings, I was particularly struck by the words of Linda S. Reeves. She told the story of a time in her life when her husband was diagnosed with a rare disease that she believed was killing her husband. This is how she described her feelings:
"We had a large, young family and a loving, eternal marriage, and the thought of losing my husband and raising my children by myself filled me with loneliness, despair, and even anger. I am ashamed to say that I pulled away from my Heavenly Father. For days I quit praying; I quit planning; I cried. I finally came to the realization that I could not do this alone.
For the first time in many days, I knelt down and poured out my heart to my Father in Heaven, pleading for forgiveness for turning away from Him, telling Him all of my deepest feelings, and finally crying out that if this was what He really wanted me to do, I would do it. I knew He must have a plan for our lives.
As I continued on my knees to pour out my heart, the sweetest, most peaceful, loving feeling came over me. It was as if a blanket of love was flowing over me. It was as if I could feel Heavenly Father saying, “That was all I needed to know.” I determined never to turn away from Him again. Gradually and amazingly, my husband began to get better until he made a full recovery.
I was floored when I heard her message, because it came at a time when I was going through the beginnings of a  similar experience--and her words were a great strength and comfort to me. I felt like the message was specifically for me and was amazed that it came into my life when it did. It gave me hope.
Sister Reeves continues the story by saying:
Years later my husband and I knelt by the side of our 17-year-old daughter and pleaded for her life. This time the answer was no, but that same feeling of love and peace that our Savior has promised was just as powerful, and we knew that even though Heavenly Father was calling her back home, everything would be all right. We have come to know what it means to cast our burdens upon the Lord, to know that He loves us and feels compassion for us in our sorrows and pain."
"Whatever sin or weakness or pain or struggle or trial you are going through, He knows and understands those very moments. He loves you! And He will carry you through those moments, just as He did Mary and Martha (See John 11). He has paid the price that He might know how to succor you. Cast your burdens upon Him. Tell your Heavenly Father how you feel. Tell Him about your pain and afflictions and then give them to Him. Search the scriptures daily. There you will also find great solace and help." The Lord Has Not Forgotten You
I have never lost a child, but I can only imagine the suffering I would feel if I did. And Sister Reeve's account of losing her daughter is one of the most humbling stories I have ever heard. I could relate to her first experience in a very specific real way. I could not relate to her second experience--but hearing it, makes me want to be the kind of person who can rely on the Lord the way she did when faced with such a heart-wrenching experience.
I am grateful for these opportunities to gather and be uplifted and to hear words matter to me in my life and that make me want to be a better, stronger, kinder person. I know that anyone who tunes in and listens to these messages can hear something specifically for them and be strengthened by it. That is how our Heavenly Father speaks to us sometimes: through other imperfect people who work and struggle and wonder themselves, but have found peace and strength in Him.
So tune in here and Enjoy!
Elin
-who still has so much to learn
“And [Jesus Christ] shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
“And he will take upon him … their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, … that he may know … how to succor his people according to their infirmities.” Alma 7:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment