Monday, September 8, 2014

Moments of Recognition

You know those moments in life where you suddenly realize something about yourself that had either never occurred to you before--or that you were unconsciously refusing to acknowledge? Sometimes it is small things like realizing that the reason I didn't like croutons is because I had never tried one before. (They just look so dry and crusty and brown.) Or seeing a picture of myself after 3 months of working at a desk, not exercising regularly, and eating wheat thins by the box and realizing that I was a bit on the plump side...so that's why my jeans didn't fit all of a sudden.

But I've had bigger moments of recognition that have forced me to see "things as they really are" (Jacob 4:13.) In the following passage from Charles Dickens'  novel Our Mutual Friend, Mr. Podsnap is throwing a little dinner party and becomes ruffled by some unwanted comments by one of his guests:

In the mean time a stray personage of a meek demeanour, who had
wandered to the hearthrug and got among the heads of tribes
assembled there in conference with Mr Podsnap, eliminated Mr
Podsnap's flush and flourish by a highly unpolite remark; no less
than a reference to the circumstance that some half-dozen people
had lately died in the streets, of starvation. It was clearly ill-timed
after dinner. It was not adapted to the cheek of the young person.
It was not in good taste.

'I don't believe it,' said Mr Podsnap, putting it behind him.

The meek man was afraid we must take it as proved, because there
were the Inquests and the Registrar's returns.

'Then it was their own fault,' said Mr Podsnap.

Veneering and other elders of tribes commended this way out of it.
At once a short cut and a broad road.

The man of meek demeanour intimated that truly it would seem
from the facts, as if starvation had been forced upon the culprits in
question--as if, in their wretched manner, they had made their
weak protests against it--as if they would have taken the liberty of
staving it off if they could--as if they would rather not have been
starved upon the whole, if perfectly agreeable to all parties.

'There is not,' said Mr Podsnap, flushing angrily, 'there is not a
country in the world, sir, where so noble a provision is made for
the poor as in this country.'

The meek man was quite willing to concede that, but perhaps it
rendered the matter even worse, as showing that there must be
something appallingly wrong somewhere.

Chapter 11 "Podsnappery", Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens

I know that example is a bit exaggerated (Dickens is good at that), but I like how it shows Mr. Podsnap's complete refusal to admit there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I feel like throughout my life, I have had moments when I suddenly recognized some "Podsnappery" in myself. They are uncomfortable moments. Really, really uncomfortable. In these moments, the Spirit has shown me times when I have been deceitful. Times when I have judged a situation or person without seeing the whole picture. Times when I thought I understood a principle, but really only had a superficial comprehension of it. I began to dread moments like this because I felt like the more "moments of recognition" I had, the worse person I was.

And then I came across this quote:

"There can be no repentance without recognition of wrong. Whether by provocation, introspection, or wrenching remembrance, denial must be dissolved [. . .] the first rays of recognition help us begin to see 'things as they really are' (Jacob 4:13), including distinguishing between the motes and beams. Recognition is a sacred moment."

Neal A. Maxwell, "Repentance," Ensign, Nov. 1991, pg. 30, emphasis added

I know this might seem really obvious to everyone else, but it was an epiphany to me. Recognition is NECESSARY! Recognition is a sacred moment. Recognition is the first step to improving ourselves and the world around us. To be able to fix a problem or flaw or whatever it may be, you first have to recognize that it is there. Seriously, this concept has changed my life. I know that change is possible. I know that I can become a better person and a more aware person than I am today. Good books and people help me see this. The gospel of Jesus Christ helps me do this.

-Elin
Who now loves croutons.


No comments:

Post a Comment