Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Seventy times Seven

I can’t think of anyone I know who has not been harmed by another’s actions, myself included. In minor instances, it is not too difficult to forgive but for major, heartbreaking circumstance it can be quite difficult. We are commanded to forgive all and putting our faith and trust in the Lord can help forgiveness com easier. This commandment is in D&C64:10, “I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.” How can we expect the Lord to forgive us our trespasses, when we can’t forgive our fellowmen?

When I am harmed or someone has offended me, before I feel anger I feel sadness. During those moments of sadness a scripture usually pops into my head, Matthew 18:21-22, and the following parable of the Unmerciful Servant found in Matthew 18:22-35 (<--- watch the video in the link);
“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but until seventy times seven.
We are expected to forgive always… not just a couple times and there is no chart saying which actions we should forgive and which ones we shouldn’t. I am grateful that this scripture pops into my head when I need to hear it. Generally, I feel humbled by these words and the anger never comes.
  
Christ can help heal our wounded hearts for "he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows”. He knows us and he knows what we are going through. It is only through him that our broken hearts are mended. I know this to be true.

In closing, I would like to share a quote and a video. They both give me hope and faith to forgive. Happiness is possible for those who are hurting due to another’s action. The future is bright.

“When someone has hurt us or those we care about, that pain can almost be overwhelming. It can feel as if the pain or the injustice is the most important thing in the world and that we have no choice but to seek vengeance. But Christ, the Prince of Peace, teaches us a better way. It can be very difficult to forgive someone the harm they’ve done us, but when we do, we open ourselves up to a better future. No longer does someone else’s wrongdoing control our course. When we forgive others, it frees us to choose how we will live our own lives. Forgiveness means that problems of the past no longer dictate our destinies, and we can focus on the future with God’s love in our hearts.

                                                                                                 -Elder David E. Sorensen



Ryanne
-who is ready for FALL

No comments:

Post a Comment