Friday, September 12, 2014

Flipping Tires... Not Pancakes

Last night my husband, Ben, and I went to check out a new gym with our two cousins. This gym is, as they say, legit. There are huge chains, atlas balls, ropes, things called ‘slosh bars’, huge tires, and a whole lot of other things that I did not recognize and cannot even imagine how to use. We did a somewhat routine work out using the equipment we would normally use at our normal gym. Throughout our work out the giant tires kept catching our eyes. We all wanted to try using them before we left.

There are three different tire sizes at this gym. The heaviest one weighs 840 pounds and the smallest weighs 250 pounds. I knew right away that I would have to use the smallest one… the boys knew right away that they could handle the largest. We rolled the tires outside and got to work. I looked down at my tire on the ground and with some excitement squatted down to get a good grip on the tire and lifted it up to flip it over, like a pancake. It was tough but not enough to stop me after one flip. After a few rotations, I realized the large tire was still where they put it initially and the men were standing around it looking rather worn out. I heard Ben say that he had to try a couple more times. I watched as he squatted down, put his hands under the tire and hefted with all his might. The tire lifted a foot off the ground and then, after stalling, quickly returned to the ground, with Ben on top of it. This is when I decided to stop watching because I feared he would get hurt. I returned to my tire but continued to listen to the guys try to defeat this massive tire.

Eventually they lifted the tire together, put it away, and brought out the medium size tire. The medium tire was just right for them. They took turns flipping it over about 8 times each. When we were very much past the point of ‘feeling the burn’ we ran home and studied the gospel together. The topic for the night was ‘Spirituality.’

Last night and all day today I have pondered the connection between physical strength and spiritual strength. Like physical strength, spiritual strength does not come suddenly. Both take consistent and meaningful effort and both can be damaged by pride. Watching the guys try to flip the tire time after time with no success, reminded me that pride can stunt progress as well. By the time they had brought out the other tire, I had flipped my tire about 12 times, putting a large gap between us.

Everybody has prideful moments, but it is recognizing those moments and humbly moving on that is important. When we humble ourselves and strive to become spiritually strengthened, we are taking the Savior’s outstretched hand to guide and to strengthen us. Ether 12:27 says, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Spiritual strength brings peace during good times and hard times. I know this from experience and I plan to continue strengthening myself spiritually.

-Ryanne
Who has some awfully achy muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment