Friday, September 19, 2014

Peace

By Del Parson


Peace.

Have you experienced peace? During difficult trials and trying times?

Where is peace found and how can it be achieved?

I am only 28 years old. I have, like everybody else, experienced a couple tough trials in my short existence. There have been times when I felt completely surrounded by darkness, a thick pressing darkness. It felt as if I would never find my way out.

Then,

Came light, a small light, but still, a light.

That light was hope, hope found in Christ.

As I realized I had the knowledge to get me through the darkness, that light grew. My hope grew and eventually,

Peace.

I experienced peace amidst trial. Peace while experiencing pain. Peace took the place of fear. Did I know what was in my future? No, but I did know that I could find peace in the Savior. He would be with me on my journey.

My journey to find peace is, sadly, a repetitive one. Even when life seems like it couldn’t be better; I need to rely on my Savior to find peace. Living righteously brings me closer to Christ; being close to Christ brings me peace and joy.

Elder Quentin L. Cook said,
“We all long for peace. Peace is not just safety or lack of war, violence, conflict, and contention. Peace comes from knowing that the Savior knows who we are and knows that we have faith in Him, love Him, and keep His commandments, even and especially amid life’s devastating trials and tragedies.”
For those of you in darkness, I know that you can find light and peace. Christ knows you. He knows what you are experiencing; He has experienced it all. Take His hand and let Him lead you to peace.

Here are the lyrics to the Hymn, “Where can I Turn For Peace?” by Emma Lou Thayne, that is always a good reminder for me:

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where
Can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my
Anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and
Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my
Beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,

Love without end.


Two great talks on peace can be found here and here


-Ryanne
Who is craving some peppermint patties at this very moment

1 comment:

  1. I just read every entry posted thus far, and I LOVE THEM ALL!! Great work, great principles. Keep it up--I'll be checking daily for my piece of bread.

    ReplyDelete