Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I am a Child of God

So I have a confession: "I am a Child of God" was never my favorite primary song. In our church, we have this lovely collection of children's songs that the children learn in their Sunday School classes (we call their classes Primary), but that many of us like to sing and play in our other church meetings and in our homes. Well, the one that gets sung the most in Primary and that seems to be everybody's favorite is called "I am a Child of God."

I'm not quite sure why it was never my favorite. I don't know if it is because I thought it was overplayed or just wasn't a big fan of the melody or what. If I got to choose a song, I would always pick this one or this one to sing.

So when I had my own child to sing to, I wanted to be sure not to push any songs on her just because they were everybody else's favorites. I sang "I am a Child of God" to her every once and awhile, but I sang a ton of other songs a lot more. And you know what song is her favorite? That's right. "I am a Child of God." At first, I didn't understand it. I didn't sing it any more than the others. I didn't push it on her. She isn't old enough for Primary yet so it's not like she was around a bunch of other kids singing it. (I'm sure, like every other kid and adult in America, the song she has heard most around town is "Let it Go.") And yet it is the song she requests all the time. It is the song she wants before she goes to bed. It is the song she sings to herself when she is fighting going to sleep. (That song and the "ABC" song.)

What is it about this song?!!! I ask you? I think it must be the words, the message. God is our Father. And He loves us. And he tells us this:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."   John 3:16-17 
I believe this. I believe that the things we experience, He allows us to experience because He is our Father and He loves us. And in the end, all that is wrong can be made right for us through the Atonement of His son, Jesus Christ. God's love is a powerful thing, whether we realize it or not. Children seem to sense it innately. (I love this talk about the love of God.)

The older I get, the more I appreciate the words to the song, especially when my little girl sings it:

I am a child of God,
And He has sent me here [. . .]

Lead me, guide me, walk beside me
Help me find the way.

Teach me all that I must do
To live with Him someday.

I really do believe it too.


-Elin
Who wishes she could sleep for 12 hours every night like her 2-year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment