Thursday, October 16, 2014

An Offender for a Word

Last night Elin and I read these verses in Isaiah 29: 20-21, which reminded me of similar thoughts from the Book of Mormon:

20 For the terrible one is brought to nought, and the scorner is consumed, and all that watch for iniquity are cut off:

 21 That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.

And...

8 And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God.

I think the idea of making a man an offender for a word is worth posting about, because every day I seem to see articles from news outlets dealing with this subject, whether sports, politics, or any other subject. In the hypersensitive world we live in, any opinion given, at all, at any time, can be (and usually is) turned into a slight or insult against some person or group of people. There are probably several reasons for this. In my opinion the media simply does it for headlines (which I won't get into); however, I think I am guilty of it for a different reason. I think I do it because I've tricked myself into believing that if other people are doing things wrong, then I am justified in it myself; that I am not so bad, given what others are saying or doing. Thus, the more people I can make offenders for a word, the more I can soothe my conscience.

The Lord, of course, preaches and practices a different way to respond to people who offend, either intentionally or unintentionally (Matthew 5:)

43 ¶Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.





Forrest
--Who needs to learn to worry about his own problems

No comments:

Post a Comment