Friday, October 17, 2014

We CAN find happiness

I watched this video the other day, a particularly trying day, and it help put things in perspective for me. We were not put on this earth to fail miserably; our Father in Heaven wants us to succeed and to be happy.

Elder Scott pointed out that we live in a majestic world. After watching this video I reflected on that. I thought of all the places we have lived and visited and remembered the breathtaking views we have seen; from a fiery sunset on a beach, to 200 year old oak trees lining a walkway, to being surrounded by colorful fallen leaves. There is beauty all around us. I am grateful that God has given us such an awe-inspiring world to live in. It brightens my darkest days to think about these things. It is a manifestation of God's love for us.

Elder Scott also reads D&C 24:8, which says,
Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.
I'm sure if you asked any of my friends or family to list words that describe me, patience would not be on that list. I love the scripture above, even though it tells me to be patient, because it reminds me that I am going to experience many difficult times. That may sound depressing but it shouldn't because then the verse says that the Lord will be with me always and he can give me the strength to endure them.

I just wrote about two very different points of the video and now I will put them together. I know I will experience many afflictions in my life. If I am grumpy and impatient, will it make the trials go away?

NO WAY! It will only make life more difficult.

How can I endure trials with patience? By finding joy amidst the trial.

Reflecting on the love God has for me always puts things in perspective. An easy way to see that love is to find beauty around me; sunsets, sunrises, flowers, mountains, trees, rivers, animals, etc.

I know this post has been a bit rambly bambly... yes I made that up. I needed to write this today because it helped remind me that we are meant to be happy and to have joy. It is up to me to be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment