Thursday, October 30, 2014

Nephi: I Did Believe and I Will Go and Do

Nephi and his brothers returning with the record.

There is a lot to like about the story of Nephi. He plays such a huge part in The Book of Mormon that I won't even attempt to get it all into this post. One of the reasons I like Nephi and his story so much is because I can see development in Nephi; the story doesn't start with him as a wise and experienced prophet. In fact, he tells us right off that he was "exceedingly young," which I would guess is between 12 and 18.

A well-known scripture to member of the LDS Church comes from early in Nephi's story. He is asked by God, through his father (Lehi), to make a difficult trip and procure a written record of their people (the Israelites). Some of Nephi's brothers are resistant to this request, and Nephi says:

7 ...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them. 

Everyone loves this verse and the idea that Nephi was so faithful, and rightly so. However, I don't think it is the key verse in Nephi's development. A chapter earlier we learn that Lehi has been teaching his children the gospel of Christ, and that Nephi desires to know if what his father has said is true:


16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers...
 19 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Blessed art thou, Nephi, because of thy faith, for thou hast sought me diligently, with lowliness of heart.

Like all of us, Nephi had to find out for himself what was true; he didn't automatically know, but he was willing to make the effort to find out. And because he found out for himself, he could make the bold statement of faith that he would do whatever the Lord commanded.

The next part of this story (1 Nephi 3-4) is Nephi and his brothers 'going and doing.' I love this part, too, because even though Nephi knows what God wants from him, and knows God will help him accomplish it, the task isn't much easier for knowing. In fact, the group almost loses its life, they do lose property, and a sacrifice is required of Nephi that is greater than anything he imagined (I suppose). 

I have thought about this many times in connection to my own life. How many times have I received a witness from God regarding some principle of the gospel, committed to obedience, and then when the task became challenging, failed in my effort? Too many, I'll just say that. Which is why I love the example of Nephi.

Forrest
--Who is ready for a relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment