Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Without it, we are nothing...

Did you know that Anne Frank wrote: “It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.” I just recently read that and wondered to myself whether she felt the same way after she went into the concentration camp. I hope so.

I've written a post about faith and hope, so now I thought I'd throw in some thoughts about charity. A prophet in the Book of Mormon defines charity as the "pure love of Christ" (Moroni 7:47). And then in his great discourse on charity in 1 Corinthians 13, the apostle Paul explains that he realizes he can have a number of noteworthy character traits and attributes--but "if [he has] not charity, [he] is nothing." So apparently having this pure, Christ-like love for others is important. And as I have reflected on my life, I realize that the moments in my life that I remember most vividly and clearly, the moments that have changed me and the way I have seen myself and others and changed the way I acted, are moments when people showed me sincere, Christ-like love and mercy and kindness even though I didn't deserve it.


A couple of examples: While working at a restaurant one summer, an elderly couple ordered a cherry pie on an especially busy Friday night. As I was supposed to do, I went back to the kitchen, asked them to heat up a cherry pie, and then forgot all about it in the rush of everything else. When I passed the couple again, they asked about the pie and I apologized and hurried back to the kitchen. Another waitress had already taken my pie out to a different table. So I ordered a pie again and again forgot about it. This happened a couple of times before I finally got that pie out to the couple, 30 minutes later. By that time, they were understandably extremely agitated and all I could do was apologize, pay for the pie out of my own pocket, and apologize again. Naturally, tears welled up in my eyes while I apologized, and though the old man and woman wanted to be very angry at me and probably disparage me to my manager and leave the restaurant in a huff, they instead, saw my tears and visibly softened and felt bad for me, the harried, exhausted waitress rather than rightfully putting me in my place. I have never forgotten it. 

The second experience was in college. I was taking an 8 am class (never a good idea for me) and was often a few minutes late to it. It was an English class and it was pretty small, no more than 15 or 20 people in it, and I was thoroughly enjoying the material and I really liked the professor. I just had a hard time getting up and getting to class before the bell rang. Much to my surprise, one morning after class, my professor stopped me on my way out and said something to the effect of "I have noticed that you have been late the last few days." I probably noticeably cringed, expecting a lecture on how the professor's time was important or something to that effect (I have heard professors say it to a classroom of people before....) What he said next floored me. He said, "Is anything wrong? Is there anything I can do to help you get here on time?" And he sincerely meant it. I was shocked. He probably was well aware that I was just one of those lazy people who didn't get out of bed when the alarm went off, but instead of lecturing me, he showed concern and kindness. And you know what?  I was on time to that class the rest of the semester. Strange what a big of goodness and kindness can do for a person.



I recently re-watched one of my favorite movies in the world, Ramona and Beezus. And I cried at three different spots in the movie. I cried because they were moments where people were just being good and kind and it made me happy....and I cried because I am hormonal.  At the end of the movie, Aunt Bea leans out the window, takes Ramona's face in her hands and says, "Ramona, you are extraordinary" and she meant it. And I started crying, because if you've watched the whole movie like I had, you knew that it was just what Ramona needed to hear. It is just what we all need to hear now and then. And yes, I know that if we are all extraordinary then doesn't that mean that none of us are extraordinary. Maybe so. But instead of looking at it that way, let's look at it as none of us are always extraordinary, so let's admire it in people in the moments where they are. Let's make those moments count and it will carry us all through the non-extraordinary moments.

I believe that people are extraordinary. I believe we are endowed with charity at times and in those moments, we feel pure and unselfish love towards people, even when they are having non-extraordinary moments. It is the kind of love that changes us and it changes them. It is love that comes from God and the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ and that if we pray for it with "all energy of heart," He will give us more (Moroni 7:48). 

- Elin
Who really likes this song by Nickel Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment