Friday, October 10, 2014

Meaningful Relationships

Last weekend was fabulous; it was uplifting. We were able to spend several hours listening to the Prophets and Apostles speak. We call it General Conference and it occurs every six months. When conference is over I always feel spiritually nourished. On Saturday Ben and I watched two 2-hour sessions together. There was a two hour break between the two sessions and, somehow, we have started a tradition of going on a run together during that break.

We jogged to a beautiful park and began running the trails. There are huge trees along the paved path that shadow it completely. I have very weak joints so I was running off the pavement trying to strengthen those joints so I can do an off road course. Moments after I stepped off the path I tripped on a tree root. I fell pretty hard and there was quite a bit of pain. Ben reached me quickly, pulling me up out of the dirt and hugged me to give me time to compose myself.

There was no way I would be running anymore that day. Ben has been training for an upcoming race and so I told him to go on ahead and run. I was in pain but I could make it on my own just fine. When I told him to go ahead he looked at me as if I was a crazy person then put his arm around me. He took my hand and stated very clearly that he was going to stay by my side. We made our way to some bleachers where I could stretch and rest. When I felt a little better we slowly walked home side by side. He pretty much had to carry me up the stairs to our 3rd floor apartment.  We got back just in time to start the next session of conference.

That night I couldn’t sleep so I took some time to review the day in my journal. I contemplated my relationship with Ben mostly but also my close relationships with family and friends. It is inevitable- a time will come when, due to physical, spiritual, or emotional weakness, you or someone close to you will fall. My hope is that someone will be there to help you, as Ben was there for me this day. When the Savior was on Earth, He gave two great commandments in Mark 12:29-31:

And Jesus answered him, the first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart, and with all thy soul, and with all they mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love they neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater.


I don’t think there is much that brings our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ more joy than when we reach out and help one another. Service is a great way to show our love for Him. I am fortunate to have a wonderful husband and family that I can lean on when I need extra support. Having meaningful relationships gives us opportunities to carry those who need help and also loving support for those times we find ourselves down in the dirt and looking for a hand to grab. 

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

-Ryanne
Who is going on the town with her husband right... now 

No comments:

Post a Comment