Monday, September 22, 2014

Coming Unto Ourselves and Living Prophets

Between my freshman year of college and serving my LDS (Mormon) mission I worked for a metal recycling company, where I mostly cut scrap metal into recyclable sizes. One day I was asked to drive to a nearby town to get some needed supplies, a trip of about 40 miles. For whatever reason I was extremely drowsy, to the point of nodding off a couple times behind the wheel. That is, I was drowsy until I woke up and realized I had somehow made it through a couple lights and a 90 degree turn with no recollection of having driven that stretch. The fear in that realization shot enough adrenaline through my system that all traces of drowsiness were gone. I was fortunate that an off-road experience wasn't what chased the drowsiness away.

The parable of the Prodigal Son is a well-known and well-beloved story of repentance and forgiveness, and recently one verse in particular has caught my attention:

Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!

The key words for me in this verse are "he came to himself." The Prodigal had been feeding the pigs when he caught himself being envious of the pigs and the food they had. That was a wake-up call, a moment of realization. The Prodigal had essentially hit rock bottom, and he knew it. What is unfortunate is that he had to reach that point before he realized the error of his ways (see verses 12-13).

I believe that a loving God wants us to come unto ourselves, and that He doesn't require us to hit rock bottom before we do. He gives reminders and promptings and nudging through any means He can. One of the ways He does this is through modern-day prophets and apostles, one of whom spoke on this same topic a few years ago during a General Conference of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In two weeks, October 4-5, living prophets and apostles will be giving all who listen an opportunity to come unto themselves by hearing the will of the Lord. I plan on hearing everything they say with an open heart and ready to act on their words, so that I can come unto myself more fully.


Forrest
Who now only nods off during work meetings...

No comments:

Post a Comment