Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Mothers, You Are Magnificent

“Stay on the toilet while you’re going potty!”

“No, you cannot have a sip of melatonin!”

“I had to put a lock on my refrigerator so the boys won’t get in it.”

“Before you get a treat you have to show me a cool dance move.”

“Don’t fight with real knives!”

“Just because you know fighting moves does not mean you can use them on your sister.”

The few phrases above are from phone conversations I have had with sisters that are interrupted by these phrases or similar ones. I have 6 sisters and sisters-in law, a wonderful mother-in-law and a loving mother who are great examples to me over motherhood. I grew up in a loving home, believing I had one of the best moms in the world and as I’ve grown and matured, I realize that I was right. My mom is a light in darkness. She shines bright and does her best to share her light. I am blessed to have married a man whose mother is also one of a kind in her graciousness. I could go on for ages about how amazing examples these two women are in my life.

I have many examples of motherhood in my life between sisters, sisters-in-law, and close friends. One things that stands out to me as I watch these women I love mother their children; they all have different methods and parenting styles but all those methods work for them and their families. I am generally in awe that such different methods yield similar results it is because they have one things in common: They are all in line with ‘The Family: A Proclamation to the world’ which states,
 “Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live…. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principle of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreation activities… In these sacred responsibilities, father and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.”
Being a mother is a huge responsibility, one that I look forward to with eagerness. I am blessed to have so many great examples in my life. I know that no one could have taught me to love more fiercely and constantly, and to show kindness no matter the circumstance than my own mother. She will always be an example to me.


I know that because I am a woman, I have been called to be a mother. Even though I do not have children I can still fulfill this calling; by following the example of the many mothers in my life; by showing love to all those who need it. I know as I work to do this I will become more Christlike because that is what I have seen in the lives of my mom, mother-in-law, and sisters.

In closing, I would like to recognize that being a mother is tough. Again, I do not know this from experience but from watching my examples. I get a lot of chuckles from listening to things my sisters say to their children when I’m on the phone with them but I also listen as they tell me of their struggles, heart aches, and their pains. To mothers everywhere, and especially to my own, I would like to quote Elder Jeffery R. Holland, an apostle of the Lord, 
“May I say to mothers collectively, in the name of the Lord, you are magnificent. You are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you. He is blessing you and He will bless you, even—no, especially—when your days and your nights may be the most challenging. Rely on Him. Rely on Him heavily. Rely on Him forever. And press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope.”
 -Ry
Who loves all her nieces and nephews

4 comments:

  1. Ry,
    You amaze me!!! You inspire me!!!!But best of all you help me find joy and make me laugh! Love you lots, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. You make me feel like i can do this murdering thing.. autocorrect... mothering thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete