Monday, February 16, 2015

Little Children

Recently I have taken on more responsibilities regarding our 2.5 year-old daughter, due to the fact that we have a new baby in the house. For the most part, this has been an enjoyable experience. Entirely, it is a learning experience. One of the great things about being a parent is the perspective it gives about my own parents, including my Heavenly Parents, and my relationship with them.

A few weeks ago around bed time my daughter was putting up a fight and she dropped her water bottle, which she is very attached to (fortunately it is nearly indestructible plastic; one of the great advancements of our age). In her highly emotional state she cried for me to pick it up for her. The bottle was probably six inches from her foot. All she had to do was bend over and pick it up. Because it was so easy for her to do, I declined to do it for her and told her to pick it up. And she really hollered about it. At this point we were both feeling stubborn, I suppose. I was irritated that she was having such a meltdown over something both insignificant and easily remedied. I'm not sure what she was feeling, except that she didn't want to pick up the bottle.

In my head I was thinking, You silly child, the bottle is RIGHT NEXT TO YOU! Just PICK IT UP! At the same time I had to wonder how many times Heavenly Father has had similar thoughts regarding me and my behavior (although certainly His thoughts are more loving than mine were). How many time have I just needed to reach out and grab whatever it was I was looking for, but didn't because I was distracted by emotions or other temporal needs and desires? And how often have I demanded His help when He has already provided whatever I need? More often than I can imagine, I imagine.

One of the reasons I don't see or comprehend or accept His offers is explained by these verses in Isaiah 55, which I have used before:

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.


It's my continued responsibility to seek to understand His ways and thoughts, in order to become more like Him.

Forrest
--Who is glad for a day that actually feels like winter, but hopes it doesn't last very long

Evie and her water bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment